Multi-Probe Micromanipulator System
Multiple silicon probes. One simple micromanipulator system.
Maximize productivity and precision with automated probe positioning for acute in-vivo recording
Supports neural probes from Imec NeuroPixels, NeuroNexus, Cambridge Neurotech and more
The MPM Multi-Probe Micromanipulator System provides convenient, automated positioning of multiple neural probes for acute in-vivo recording in electrophysiology and optogenetic research.
Simple to set up and operate, it is the first micro-manipulator designed specifically for use with silicon probes.
The compact design enables independent positioning of multiple probes in the smallest space, with ample clear area for a virtual task environment. Automatically and independently move each probe to the optimum location in the brain.
The powerful virtual coordinate system (VCS) software allows fast and reliable setup/change of brain coordinates.
VIRTUAL COORDINATE SYSTEM for FAST, RELIABLE POSITIONING
The MPM Software’s Virtual Coordinate System simplifies probe positioning. Enter the start and stop coordinates to register probe locations to a 2D image or a 3D reference space using stereotatic coordinates.
The software automatically calculates all approach angles. Each probe moves independently within this global space, rather than along its local axes. This makes it much easier to position and keep track of multiple probe locations.
Use the simulation mode to plan and visualize probe positions and approach angles, plan insertion paths, and check for potential probe interference.
You spend less time calculating angles and more time recording.
- Control multiple probes in stereotactic coordinates with simplicity and reproducibility.
- Simulation mode simplifies setup and training
- Control up to eight probes in a single PC window. Open additional windows for more probes.
- Coarse, fine and insertion step modes
- Display of absolute and configurable relative positions
- Automated z-axis insertion – very slow with x/y movement disabled
- Multiple editable configurations – step size, speed, axis associations, etc.
- Optional joystick or other input device control (PC compatible USB-HID)
Compact, easy-to-use system
Manipulate multiple probes in the smallest space
A mounting ring allows multiple probe arm assemblies to be positioned around the target – from one probe to eight or more. In inverted configuration, the arms are mounted to the underside of an elevated platform, maximizing clear space below the probes for animal interaction with a virtual task environment. In upright configuration, the arms are mounted to a standard laboratory table.
Each probe arm has four degrees of freedom for initial pre-adjustment. Use the displacement markings to register the location of each probe in stereotaxic coordinates and calculate the approach angle. Enter this information into the Virtual Coordinate System (VCS) software and remove real-time geometry puzzles from the time it takes to do a recording. Use the simulation mode for a 3D visualization of probe assemblies, along with target bregma and lambda locations, to plan probe positions or practice moving.
Precise motorized positioning
Each probe arm has three axes of motorized motion for automated positioning. The motorized positioners allow precise control of x-y location and z insertion depth, automatically and independently moving each probe to the optimum location in the brain. The standard motorized positioners offer 15 mm of travel on each axis, with high force and stiffness. The small, stiff, precise mechanical stages, along with an exceedingly stable mechanical loop from the probe tip to the manipulator, ensure a drift-free manipulator environment. Learn more about the M3-LS micro stages.
Designed for Silicon Probes
imec Neuropixels – NeuroNexus – Cambridge Neurotech
The MPM System is the first micromanipulator specifically designed for silicon probes including Neuropixels probes. It is also compatible with tetrodes and other probes. It can be used to simultaneously position optical waveguides or optical fibers for research combining electrophysiology with optogenetic stimulation.
Probe mounting kits are available for many commercial probes including Neuropixels 1.0 probes with silcon or metal cap. We also offer custom probe mount design.
Protect your probes
A steel reference probe reduces setup time and minimizes risk of damage to probes during setup. Once you have determined your probe angles and insertion paths using the reference probe and VCS software, repeatable stops on the probe arms allow you to simply swing the arm up to replace the reference probe with a silicon probe, and return it to the target position.
- Compact size: Independently position multiple probes in the smallest space
- Fast set-up: Fully engineered, modular apparatus space-optimized for upright or inverted experiments
- Easy operation: 24 axes of automated motion controlled using a single PC window (open additional windows for more probes)
- Automated sub-micrometer probe adjustments with absolute position measurement and control
- Virtual Coordinate System with 3D visualization for fast setup of positions, including a simulation mode for setup and training
- Gross manual + fine automated control in one system
- Four-axis manual pre-positioning with repeatable stops
- Three-axis motorized fine positioning with 15 mm travel on each axis
- Exceedingly stable mechanical loop from probe tip to manipulator for drift-free operation
Configurable to your experiment
MPM Systems are fully configurable for inverted or upright position, number of probe arms, and type of probe holders.
Each system is complete and easy to assemble with the tools and hardware provided. All cables and connectors are labeled, including standard USB cables to the PC. The MPM software installs on your Windows PC in minutes.
Download software and user guides for your MPM System. Watch How-To videos on system setup and operation. (User account creation required)
Download drawings and hardware guides to plan your purchase and installation of an MPM System. (Register here if you don’t have a user account)
Neuropixels 1.0 probes are supported by the MPM System. A probe holder for the ultra-high density Neuropixels probe from imec is available now.
Where To Buy
Sales and support for the MPM System is provided by worldwide partners with experience in neuroscience and advanced research instrumentation.