Extended reality (XR) applications
Precision, low-power motion for wearable XR systems
Practical solutions for lens and mirror motion, haptic feedback
M3 modules deliver precision motion in wearable systems for extended (XR), virtual (VR), augmented (AR) and mixed (MR) reality devices.
They are light weight, small in size, use low power, and have embedded processing in the module. They enable motion features that enhance the quality and comfort of the XR experience.
Applications for M3 modules in XR systems
- Focus, zoom and jitter compensation
- Vergence-accomodation conflict resolution in binocular vision with fixed wearable projectors
- Active dimming via uniform shutter motion
- High-density haptic actuation with multiple actuators providing pressure on the body for a more immersive experience
- Foveation using a large-aperture, two-axis steering mirror to place the highest-resolution image where the wearer is looking at any given instant. See the video below! Learn more in this SPIE Conference presentation, Foveation is Coming.
DOWNLOAD THE WHITE PAPER
Embedded Motion Solves Extended Reality (XR) Challenges
In the accelerating XR market – which encompasses augmented reality (AR), mixed reality (MR) and virtual reality (VR) – embedded micro motion (EMM) devices are solving challenges that are not addressed by MEMS devices or conventional opto-mechanical systems.
Moving imaging and display optics is an established application. Actuators for high-definition haptics is an emerging application. All-in-one smart EMM modules fit in the smallest space, reduce total cost, are easy to integrate, and help XR system designers bring products to market faster.
Assisted vision device with M3-F focus module embedded. Photo courtesy eSight Corp.
M3-F Focus Module is small and low-power for wearable XR systems.
M3 modules in XR systems support:
- Wearable comfort with optimized size, weight and power (SWaP).
- Visual comfort to prevent headaches and other negative side effects of near-eye displays.
- Haptic feedback for a more immersive experience.
Custom M3 Module enables high-density actuator arrays for haptic feedback. This module integrates a piezo micro motor, position sensor and all drive electronics.
Contact us for more information about using M3 modules for extended reality (XR), virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), and mixed reality (MR) applications.