WORK WITH THE BEST IN MICRO MOTION
Work New Scale is a privately-funded technology company near Rochester, NY. We welcome inquiries from talented, energetic people in engineering and related disciplines. We are especially interested in candidates with training or experience in piezoelectric devices and miniature motion systems. This may include:
- Theoretical analysis, computer modeling and optimization (ideally for ultrasonic devices)
- Piezoelectric component selection and qualification
- Hands-on device fabrication and testing
- Micrometer-precision design, fabrication and assembly
- High-volume micro manufacturing (ideally with international experience)
We have an opening for a Mechanical Engineer to develop mechatronic products in our Victor, NY location near Rochester, NY.
Mechanical design and release to manufacturing of advanced rotary and linear mechatronic motion products. Create CAD solid models and manufacturing drawings. Design experiments and make simple fixtures or parts in machine shop. Build and test prototypes. Present results that meet performance, quality and cost requirements and are approved for release to manufacturing. Create mechatronic designs, on multi-disciplined teams, in close collaboration with electrical, software and operations staff. Work productively with all parts of the company in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment and complete tasks on schedule. Find and recommend prospective vendors for key manufacturing items. Coordinate manufacturing launch for new or revised products. Support regular production when needed. Handle other assignments as directed.
- Create mechanical designs of advanced rotary and linear mechatronic motion systems that include actuators, sensors, precision mechanisms, drive and control electronics, and associated manufacturing procedures, tools, and fixtures.
- Create mechatronic solutions in close collaboration with electrical, mechanical, software, manufacturing, and quality engineers.
- Use SolidWorks to produce and maintain 3D solid modeling, finite element analysis, manufacturing drawings, assembly drawings, and bills of material.
- Build and test prototypes of new designs in the engineering lab.
- Design experiments and make simple fixtures or parts in machine shop (or other technique, such as 3D printers) to quickly test ideas.
- Follow the company’s processes for configuration management and formal engineering release/change.
- Follow the company’s New Product Development Process that includes breadboard, alpha, beta, and pilot production phases.
- Communicate results and present at formal company reviews that verify performance, quality and cost requirements are achieved.
- Work productively with all parts of the company in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment and complete tasks on schedule.
- Identify and recommend vendors for purchased components and methods.
- Define methods for testing and validating parts, sub-assemblies and product performance and process yield including instructions, tooling, and fixtures.
- Support manufacturing of released products as directed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Regularly required to sit or stand and move about the facility. Exposure to shop elements such as noise, dust, fumes, and odors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering or related field.
- 0-2 years experience in mechatronics system design and manufacturing. Ideally for positioning, motion control, or automation applications.
- Strong SolidWorks design skills
- Familiar (hands-on) with traditional machining, such as operating lathe and milling machines
- Familiar with micrometer level precision design, assembly, and measurement
Demonstrated knowledge and competence in several of these areas:
- Desktop manufacturing including 3D CNC machining and/or 3D printing.
- Concurrent product design and manufacturing process development.
- Logical problem solving, analysis and resolution.
- GD&T methods and application to part fabrication and system assembly.
- Inspection and quality control practices and methods.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- A strong contributor on high-performance multi-discipline teams.
- Productive and efficient use of all computer tools and software needed to create and release innovative product designs.