Optical System Applications
Tiny closed-loop modules provide high-precision motion for focusing, filtering, tuning, laser beam steering and more
New Scale provides small, precise and smart actuators to move optical component in consumer, medical, scientific, military and industrial devices. Using our patented piezoelectric motor and related technology, our miniature closed-loop motion modules provide unmatched position resolution and accuracy in tiny packages. Their compact size and low power use make them ideal for hand-held and portable systems.
- Focusing. Our M3-F focus modules are compact, easy-to-integrate motion systems accepting standard M6 to M12 lenses. Our UTAF focus module technology is available for licensing for high-volume applications including consumer phone cameras.
- Wavelength tuning. M3-L linear actuators provide precision adjustments of mirrors and gradients for wavelength tuning, frequency selection and filtering.
- Laser beam steering. M3-L linear actuators also provide fast, precise motion of optics for precision beam steering.
- Wavelength division multiplexing
- Optical zoom. Integrated modules such as this reference design deliver high precision and long stroke in a 6.5 mm thin package.
- Optical image stabilization or hand jitter correction
- Shutter and aperture control
M3-F Focus modules
M3-F focus modules add precision focus to OEM cameras. You provide a 3.3V supply and high-level input via standard serial interface. The module is customized to fit your lens (from M6 to M12) and provides millimeters of lens motion. Modules measure 20 x 22 x 16 mm and mount on the OEM board camera PCB.
Each closed-loop motion module incorporates a piezoelectric micro motor, a high-resolution position sensor (which, unlike optical encoders, does not require a light source or external zero reference sensor), a motor drive ASIC and a microprocessor.
Application example: M3-F module in a board camera application.
UTAF focus modules
The UTAF module is a complete ultra-thin auto focus actuator for next-generation ultra-thin mobile phones with image sensors better than 8 MP. It enables continuous auto focus for video capture, as well as faster focus for more rapid picture taking. The complete UTAF actuator module measures less than 4 x 8.5 x 8.5 mm. This technology is available for licensing.
M3-L Linear Actuator Modules
M3-L linear modules are customizable, fully integrated, closed-loop actuators based on New Scale’s M3 design platform. This platform incorporates a piezoelectric SQUIGGLE micro motor, motor drive ASIC, position sensor and microprocessor. The modules accept high-level digital commands via standard serial interface (I2C or SPI). No external control board is necessary.
M3-L modules have smaller size, higher resolution, and lower power use than traditional stepper motors. They can be rapidly customized to OEM specifications including mounting and load interface, dimensions, and push and/or pull operation.
Application example: M3-L moving an optical element.
Custom micro motion solutions based on our expertise in piezoelectric motion systems give you what you need: higher force, higher precision, longer travel, special constraints on the mechanical configurations and much more. We excel at creating small, precise and smart motion systems customized for your application. For examples please see our custom motion systems.
- M3-F focus module information with drawings and performance data
- M3-L linear actuator module information with drawings and performance data
- More information about the M3 design platform, which allows us to quickly create customized micro-mechatronic modules for OEM applications
- Webcast: New Scale founder and CTO David Henderson discusses how the latest technology for smart phone cameras is enabling smaller, more precise products for non-consumer imaging applications. April 2012. Download the slides with transcript (1.4MB PDF)
Contact us for more information.